What if you could help hungry families in need while simultaneously receiving fresh, nutritious, affordable produce straight to your doorstep?
Many of us have the urge to help people in need, but we may not have the time to volunteer or the extra money to donate.
Additionally, many of us would like to eat nutritious vegetables with our dinner or fresh fruit with our breakfast without paying a fortune, but we may not have time to get to the grocery store between work, doctor’s appointments, and soccer games (if you have kids). This can result in too much fast food and not enough energizing nutrients to create a balanced diet for yourself or your family.
A Sustainable Solution
Introducing Hungry Harvest: a farm to table produce company that sells and delivers sustainable, cheap produce to consumers like you and me.
In the process, they help make sure food insecure families receive the produce they need to feel energized throughout the day by partnering with food banks, pantries, and public schools via their Produce in a SNAP program, which I’ll explain a little later.
According to the Hungry Harvest website, “1 in 5 fruits and veggies go to waste while 1 in 6 U.S. citizens are food insecure.” In response to these issues, Hungry Harvest has figured out a way to source nutritious, freshly grown fruits and vegetables that would otherwise be thrown out due to visual defects or surplus.
A surplus is when grocery stores order too much produce or farmers grow too much produce to sell and end up having to throw some away. Hungry Harvest truly believes perfectly good food should not be judged by its appearance or thrown out for any reason. As a result, they source the surplus and defected produce from farms all along the east coast of the U.S. Specific farms are even listed on their website.
Helping the Hungry – Produce in a SNAP
Hungry Harvest donates one to two pounds of produce to people in need for every harvest they deliver. According to the Hungry Harvest website, they have donated over 450 thousand pounds to the hungry so far. Pretty amazing, right?! Here’s how they do it.
Hungry Harvest has partnered with Baltimore City public schools to create the Produce in a SNAP program. Produce in a SNAP promotes healthy eating and fights hunger by bringing fresh, affordable produce to food deserts.
- Food Deserts are parts of the country that do not have easy access to fresh, nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables, according to the American Nutrition Association. They are usually located within impoverished areas that lack farmer’s markets, grocery stores, and healthy food options.
Produce in a SNAP Mission
The Produce in a SNAP mission is to:
“allow food-insecure families and individuals who could benefit from affordable produce, including those on government assistance programs such as SNAP/EBT, WIC, and SSDI, to stretch their food budgets and put nutritious produce on their dinner table,” according to the Hungry Harvest website.
In order to fulfill their mission, Hungry Harvest donates about 5,000 pounds of produce to food banks and pantries throughout their current delivery locations (which will hopefully expand soon). They are also working to create weekly produce pickup sites at public schools throughout Baltimore, Maryland. This way, families in need can purchase fresh, subsidized produce at a discounted price, even with their government assistance cards.
Where do they deliver?
Now, before I get into how to order produce from Hungry Harvest, I want to talk about location. Unfortunately, Hungry Harvest is a new company that’s still growing.
They currently only deliver to Maryland, D.C., Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. You can, however, join the waiting list on their website to increase the likelihood of them expanding to your area. Just scroll down and click “Join Waitlist” on their homepage and simply type in your email and delivery address.
How to Order Produce from Hungry Harvest
Ok, here’s the fun part. If you’re located in an area where Hungry Harvest delivers, here’s the break-down on how to order regular or organic produce straight to your door.
- On their homepage, click “Get Started.”
- Then you’ll see the different types of harvests you can buy. Here are the different kinds. You can check out their website for more information on each harvest.
- $15 Mini Harvest: Good for 1-2 people and includes 1 type of green, 3 types of veggies and 2-3 types of fruit.
- $25 Full Harvest: Good for 2-3 people and includes 1 type of green, 2-4 types of veggies and 2-4 types of fruit.
- $35 Super Harvest: Good for 4-7 people and includes 1-2 types of greens, 4-7 types of veggies and 2-5 types of fruit.
- $30 Mini Organic Harvest: Good for 1-2 people and includes 1 type of green, 3 types of veggies and 2-3 types of fruit.
- $45 Full Organic Harvest: Good for 2-4 people and includes 1 type of green, 4 types of veggies and 2-4 types of fruit.
- $55 Super Organic Harvest: Good for 3-5 people and includes 2 types of green, 5 types of veggies and 3-5 types of fruit.
- $20 Mini Veggie Harvest: Good for 1-4 people depending on how much everyone eats and includes 1-2 types of greens and 4-6 types of veggies.
- $30 Full Veggie Harvest: Good for 3-5 people and includes 1-3 types of greens and 4-9 types of veggies.
- $30 Office Harvest: Good for 15-30 people and includes about 30-40 pieces of fruit for office employees to snack on.
- $25 Mini Fruit Harvest: This is good for someone who snacks on fruit 4-5 days a week. It includes 4 types of fruit and 2-4 pieces of each type
- $35 Full Fruit Harvest: This is good for someone who snacks on fruit 5-7 days a week. It includes 5 types of fruit and 3-5 pieces of each type.
- Weekly Add-On: Hungry Harvest even has fresh weekly add-ons. For example, they offer guacamole kits, PB&J kits, fresh bread, and fresh pesto.
3. Once you’ve selected your harvest, a screen will pop up asking whether you want to receive your harvest weekly or bi-weekly. Pick what you want and either checkout or continue shopping.
Help the Hungry and Get the Nutrients you Need
Ultimately, Hungry Harvest is the perfect solution for those who want to help people but aren’t sure how. It is also a great solution for those who just don’t have the time to get to the grocery store but know they need nutritious fruits and veggies to maintain a balanced diet.
We can help Hungry Harvest solidify a revolutionary sustainable produce system that feeds the hungry and reduces food waste across the country by signing up and ordering today.
Leave me a reply in the comments if you’ve heard of Hungry Harvest (or saw them on Shark Tank like me) and are interested in using their services. Please share this article to get the word out about their amazingly sustainable and affordable produce so we can make the Hungry Harvest mission a reality.
You can also check out our very own Upcycled products on our Cambster Etsy Page and let us know what you think!